Thursday, February 11, 2010

Butterick 4919 - Part 2

     So I finally got a move on with Butterick 4919
! It's almost there. It is looking really good! It is super cute! I had some trouble putting the bodice together though. My advice to others: "Just keep doing EXACTLY what the instruction sheet says even if it sounds confusing. It will come together in the end.....hopefully." Apparently the front bodice and the back bodice don't actually join. The front bodice hooks in the back under the zipper. Then the zipper zips up. And THEN the ties go around.
    The neckline was a little low cut (as pictured) for my taste. I just wasn't comfortable. So I added a really nifty ruffle around the entire neckline. It stands up straight and lays against my neck. I think it looks really sharp. 
    The full skirt really looks nice though! It is proving to be a bugger to hem though. That's what I'm working on now. Then I just have some hand stitching and it will be done! I'll post the finished dress when I finish.
    On another note, my dress form is just THAT much too big around the torso. And I have it as small as it will go. I suppose I will grow into it. My hips are proportioned just right that the dress form doesn't like it too much....but I suppose I will grow into it! haha!

P.S. I have NO earthly idea where I am going to wear this, but I will figure something out! My mom was joking with me about this being my house-cleaning dress. heehee. :)

P.P.S. I forgot to mention too, that this fabric was $2 a yard and I had a 40% off coupon on top of that. So....it was $1.20 a yard, and it called for 6 yards or something like that. It's going to need a full length slip, because it is very staticky, but what can I say? It's a $15 dress. :giggles to self:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for explaining how the dress worked. I'm making the same pattern myself, and sewed the little flaps to the skirt+zipper, before realising that I then had a whole back bodice floating around.
Very helpful, thank you!
-Jaded Dragon
jaded.dragon@hotmail.com